Copycat A&W Chili Dog Recipe
Part of our copycat recipe cookbook, this recipe is for one chili dog, so if you want more than one (and you know you do!) of the famous A&W restaurant's hot dogs, multiply it out for each one.
Get more copycat recipes like this one at America's Most Wanted Recipes
A&W Chili Dogs
- 1 Sabrett brand 2 ounce beef frankfurter (7½" long)
- 1 regular hot dog roll
- 3 Tablespoons A&W Coney Island Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped white onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon Kraft shredded mild cheddar cheese (optional)
- A&W Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 six ounce can Hunts tomato paste
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon dried, minced onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (heaping)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Making the Chili Dog Sauce:
1. In a 2 qt. saucepan, brown the ground chuck, breaking into very small
pieces. Salt and pepper lightly while cooking. Do not drain the fat.
2. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 30−45 minutes until it
thickens. Stir occasionally.
3. Allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate until "Dog−Time". You'll be
microwaving what you need later.
Cooking your A&W Chili Dog
1. Bring a 2 qt. saucepan of water to a rolling boil.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add the desired number of
frankfurters to the water. Cover and let sit about 10 minutes.
3. After the franks are done, microwave the chili dog sauce until steaming.
(Only microwave what you need, save the rest) Then microwave each hot dog
roll 10 seconds....just enough to warm.
4. Remove the cooked franks with tongs, and place on the microwaved hot dog
5. Add about 3 Tablespoons of your prepared A&W chili dog sauce, and the
chopped onion. Grated cheddar cheese is optional.